Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Just launched

After a brief test run, I have determined that I have some bugs to work out before she is truly ready for an expedition.

  1. The two deck plates on the stern leak. They are partially under the waterline most of the time a need to be better sealed. I tried to find the largest deck plates possible and these apparently are not designed to be under the waterline. Any suggestions would be great.
  2. The stern deck plates do not allow enough room to slide dry bags in under the top lip. Since the stern is at such a sharp angle it reduces the entry space between the bottom of the boat and the top of the deck plate. This may not be a real problem when the midships deck plates are installed. I can still slide a sail into the hull by rolling it tight.
  3. The overall weight is about 20lbs heavier than I think it needs to be. As a result of my lack of boat building experience I may have used too much resin in the early building stages. The added weight does not seem to affect the boats sailing abilities.

Here are some photos of the boat in the water. It was very stable and fun to sail. I had to learn to tack the v-nosed bow as it performs differently than a typical long board with a flat bottom.

One of the first things I noticed was how quietly it cut through the water. The v-bow slices the water noiselessly.

No comments: