Saturday, January 30, 2010

15.5 kts- Great day at Tierra Verde


I have been watching the cold front all week hoping that work and family responsibilities would harmonize with its arrival. It did and what a great time it was. I unloaded the Expedition Windsurfer at 1:30 on the east side of Tierra Verde with winds in the 2okt range. There was four or five young guns on short boards giving the old man some weird looks as I sailed off the beach, but that’s ok, I did not take it personal. I had Britt of North Beach Windsurfing in my corner and he kept the kids at bay.


The Expedition Windsurfer performed beyond my expectations. It was stable, of course, but even when the winds picked up to 25+ tacking and jibing was simple and I never felt like I was out of control with my 7.5 Zenith. What I was most pleased with was its speed. In winds in the 25kt range I maxed out at 15.5kts and it felt like I could get more out of it with some adjustments. The biggest issue affecting top end speed is the tail fin box. At high speeds, water was forced into the well creating a rooster tail causing drag on the board. I have a dagger board gasket I will apply and we will see if we can get 20 knots out of her. I think we can. The board also goes to weather well, even with the old 1980s blades I am using. Matt Layden has done a great job on the design.



Totally STOKED!

2 comments:

Matt said...

Trey, that's great news, glad to see the new board sailing. Always a few little things to work out on a new boat.

In the photo she's bow-high & looks like a high-drag mode- what would happen if the mast was a little forward to take some weight off the tail & get the nose down more?

Keep pix comign when you get them!

Matt

Anonymous said...

Interesting concept! Can you post a pic of the bottom of the board?