Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Training sail at Bishop Harbor-Just 10 days to the Everglades Challenge

Only 10 days until the start of the Everglades Challenge, an expedition style small boat race down the west coast of Florida. The race starts at Ft. Desoto near the mouth of Tampa Bay and ends about 300 miles south at Key Largo. I will be the only one to enter the race on a windsurfer, the Expedition Windsurfer®. You can follow the action in real time by logging onto the www.watertribe.com web site, and clicking the link "map" that corresponds to the Everglades Challenge. My tribal name is WindWalker. Post a message to help keep me motivated, my shore team will relay the message to me as I check in.


I was short on time so I decided to sail at Bishop Harbor on the east side of Tampa Bay rather than going all the way to Ft. Desoto. The winds were light out of the west northwest and as the day went on the sea fog began to move in from the Gulf. In one of the photos you can just barely see the Sunshine Skyway Bridge with a large freighter passing under it. Notice how clear the water is.

I sailed for about 3 hours and traveled just over 7.5 miles. It was a nice day on the water.



No comments: